Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Bootcamp Fitness; it's here to stay... but it's always been here

Americans are easily bored and sometimes I think there is a negative stigma attached to anything traditional or old (wow, what a revelation, like age). Anyways, so here we are and even in the fitness world, people still suffer from anti-aged methods of getting into shape or losing weight.

In the 70s there were all these vibration belts and machines that moved your body parts for you. In the 80s it was toning machines (ever watch the movie Hardbodies). In the 90s it was Tae Bo. Nowadays, it's Boot Camps and P90X. So what I find funny is how so many people think these are "new" training modalities. And everyone is so into it. It's the new fitness craze, and oh how they feel hip and cool. "hey, I did boot camp yesterday and boy can I feel my glutes today!" It's almost like it's a status symbol to be a member of a boot camp club.

I wish those silly people could read this blog post because I'd love to announce to them that my mother (who is almost 67) was doing these same exercises back in the 70s. As was my Dad during Marine Corps basic training. AND myself in basic training in 1992! The only difference is we called in calisthenics. And yeah yeah yeah P90 X has taken the world by storm, but that is only because someone finally had the balls to put it on DVD and rename it; despite the fact that the 90% of fitness consumers are actually too lazy to use or follow whatever they are buying. They are just over-motivated at the idea of working out.

So, like pop music with their sampling, and fashion styles making a comeback (did you know capris were the craze in the mid 80s), fitness modalities are being recycled as well.

OH forgot to mention... remember the dance move called the "running man"? Well, it's back in as well, but I think there is another name for it. Are you catching the trend here?

No comments:

Post a Comment